Scholar Awards by Year
Select the year below to read the profiles for the respective winners.
APPLICATIONS OPEN: 2021 Nuffield International Farming Scholars
- To be awarded a 2021 scholarship, an application and interview process is held in 2020 and the scholarship commences in 2021.
- Each scholarship bursary is valued at US$25,000.
Please ensure you have read and understand the eligibility and guidelines of a Nuffield International Scholarship before completing an application.
Are you eligible? You must be:
- An individual who makes a living from agriculture, either as a primary producer or working in the industry;
- Typically between 25 and 45 years of age;
- Seeking to develop capacity and experience
through travel and exploration;
- Living and working in countries where Nuffield International scholarships are available: Brazil, Chile, Japan, the USA and Germany.
NOTE: If you are a farmer or
agri-professional from a country outside of those mentioned above, please contact us for insight on how you may be able to connect with
the program. Details below.
2021 Scholarship components
- Applications open 6 July 2020 and close 15 October 2020.
- All applicants will receive an email to alert them to the status of their application.
- Applicants will be invited to attend an interview via video link/face-to-face in November 2020.
- 2021 Scholars will be announced in December 2020.
- All Scholars will begin their scholarship in 2021, subject to travel restrictions due to COVID-19. Nuffield will work with scholars if extensions are required.
Successful candidates are required to:
- Speak fluent English.
- Review and sign a contract outlining the obligations of both parties.
- Participate in pre-travel activities with scholars/management (webinars/virtual meetings).
- Identify an industry mentor and commit to submitting monthly reports sharing insight on progress, activities, and travel throughout the scholarship.
- Attend the 2021 Nuffield International Contemporary Scholars Conference (CSC).
- Participate in a 2021 Global Focus Program (GFP) travel experience.
- Complete a minimum of 8 weeks of self-organised travel focusing on the personal research topic. Up to two weeks can include research in your home country, subject to approval of a proposed itinerary. A spouse/partner is able to travel with you at their own cost.
- Submit a 10,000-word culminating report in 2022, outlining your study topic, travels, research, and findings.
- Present your scholarship outcomes and report findings at a key industry meeting in your home country.
Will COVID-19 impact the 2021 program?
The tenure of a 2021 Nuffield Scholarship is 14 weeks over a two year period. Whilst Nuffield International cannot
guarantee when travel restrictions will be fully eased, should the COVID-19
situation worsen, the program will be rescheduled or rolled over to extended
timelines, in collaboration between the scholar, the investor and our
We are also offering greater access to online learning than before, including virtual connections to our global alumni network.
We want applicants to be confident about applying for 2021, as our organisation will deliver the same high-quality scholarship experience that more than 1,800 Nuffield Scholars have enjoyed previously.
Approximately nine scholarships are available. Some have specific criteria regarding geography and eligible study topics.
1. Supported by TIAA-CREF Global Agriculture - open to farmers and agribusiness professionals from USA, Brazil, and Chile. Topics should relate to:
- New technology in agriculture
- Mixed systems and relevance in sustainable farming
- Natural capital and contribution to land values
- Quality standards and certification
- Soil health improvements
- Sustainable water use
- Food chain resilience
- Use of renewable energy
- Green financing in agriculture
- Climate change mitigation and agriculture
- How politics affect agriculture
2. Iowa: Scholarship for a farmer or
agricultural professional who is a resident of the State of Iowa.
3. Delmarva: Scholarship for a farmer or agricultural professional who is a resident of the Delmarva Peninsula (State of Delaware, the nine counties of Maryland's Eastern Shore, the two counties of Eastern Shore Virginia) and Chester and Lancaster Counties of Pennsylvania
4. Supported by Bayer - open to farmers and agribusiness professionals from the USA and Brazil
5. Supported by PSP Investments - open to farmers and agribusiness professionals from USA, Brazil, and Chile
6. *Japan: Supported by Norinchukin Bank - open to Japanese farmers and agribusiness professionals
7. *North Carolina: Scholarship for a farmer or agricultural professional who is a resident of the State of North Carolina - This scholarship is contingent upon receiving investor support
8. *Brazil: Supported by a coalition of Brazilian companies - open to Brazilian farmers and agribusiness professionals
9. *Chile: Supported by a coalition of Chilean companies - open to Chilean farmers and agribusiness professionals
All scholarships with an asterisk (*) is contingent upon receiving investor support
package will include:
- A completed and submitted online application form.
- A current CV in English.
- A high-resolution portrait of yourself (at least 1MB).
- A video (in English) taken on your cell phone or computer, up to 90 seconds in length introducing yourself, your agricultural work and interest in being a Nuffield Scholar. Please record it in your work environment if possible. Use horizontal view and record it in a well-lit spot, free of background noise. Due to file size challenges we welcome links to your video submission.
· Applications are open! To download the application form, please click here.
Program Operations Manager